How to Get Tropical in Winter When You're Stuck at Home
I don't live on an island or near an ocean. The largest body of water near me is the Mississippi in all of its muddy glory. In the heart of winter, I want nothing more to escape from salty sidewalks to somewhere warm but it's just not going to happen. This requires both extra cash and taking time off. However, there are a few things I do (or would like to) in order to trick myself into beach vacation frame of mind.
- Coconut anything: this might seem silly but coconut 100% gives me all the summer feels. My coconut lip balm might not transport me to an island but I can almost feel the sun on my face when I smell it.
- Get some big, green, leafy plants in your bedroom, office, living room- wherever you spend the most time. If you're not confident in your abilities to keep them alive you can always opt for a fake version. I would recommend a real one though for the added benefits of having a real plant in your space. Nothing reminds me more of warmer times than a new plant baby.
Try: Actually buying one from your local nursery so you get the added bonus of hanging out in a nice humid space for a while. They'll also be able to help you pick out the best plant for your lifestyle aka watering habits.
- Read books you would normally take to the beach or even a book about vacation or somewhere tropical to transport you. I sometimes read more intense books in the winter than I would if I were picking out a beach read. This will help reach that level of relaxation.
Try: Something of the Eat, Pray, Love variety. Spoiler- there isn't any snow in that book.
- Actually seek out warmth. Do any of your friends have access to a steam room? Maybe a guest pass to their gym? Hot yoga also seems like a good idea but I haven't actually tried it. Sometimes you don't realize how chilled you've been until you truly experience that level of warmth again, seriously.
Try: If all else fails, check out your local botanical gardens for any tropic environments. In St. Louis, you can pretend you're in the rainforest at the Climatron.
- Shop for a swimsuit if you need a new one. There's no better way to get in the summer mindset than being entirely prepared for the first glimpse of a hot day.
What are your favorite ways to deal with winter?